Jobs & Economy
ELIMINATE UNNECESSARY REGULATIONS – KEEP JOBS IN AMERICA – SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS
Government doesn't create jobs, the private sector does. Too often, government gets in the way of job creation. We can get this economy moving again by simplifying the tax code; lowering taxes; encouraging investment; getting wasteful spending under control; developing energy resources in America; and reducing government red tape and bureaucracy. Additionally, I’m opposed to job-killing trade agreements like the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
- Voted for H.R. 367, the REINS Act, which requires Congressional approval of all new federal regulations with an economic impact of $100 million or more. (H.R. 367, Roll Call 445, Aug. 2, 2013)
- Voted against H.R. 2146, Trade Promotion Authority, which gives President Obama the authority to negotiate job-killing trade deals like the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). (H.R. 2146, Roll Call 374, June 18, 2015)
Taxes & IRS
NO NEW TAXES – LOWER TAXES – REPEAL UNFAIR AND OUTDATED TAXES – REFORM THE TAX CODE
I oppose any new tax, and I oppose any tax increase. I’ve never voted for a tax increase, and I never will. We need fundamental tax reform immediately. Our current system is too complicated and costly for American families, and it’s a drain on our economy. I support replacing our current code with one that is simple, fair, and reduced.
- Cosponsored H.R. 2050, the Middle Class Health Benefits Tax Repeal Act of 2015, legislation that repeals a tax on health care plans imposed by Obamacare
- Cosponsored H.R. 1105, the Death Tax Repeal Act of 2015, which permanently repeals the Death Tax.
- Cosponsored H.R. 2355, the Permanent Internet Tax Freedom Act, which bans taxes to access the Internet.
- Voted to hold Lois Lerner in Contempt of Congress for her refusal to testify regarding IRS treatment of conservative groups. (H.Res. 574, Roll Call 203, May 7, 2014)
Budget & Debt
CUT SPENDING – REDUCE AND ELIMINATE UNNEEDED GOVERNMENT – NO BUDGET NO PAY FOR CONGRESS
The goverment fiscal crisis now threatens even our national security. We must act today to ensure our nation's strength and economic vitality today and for the future.
The federal budget should be like a family's budget. You shouldn't spend more than you take in. I support making significant cuts in spending that will reduce the budget deficit and enforce spending caps that will put spending on a path to balanced budget.
- Voted for “No Budget No Pay,” a bill that would require both chambers pass a budget by date certain or Members do not receive their paychecks. (H.R. 325, Roll Call 30, Jan. 23, 2013)
- Voted for a budget that would balance within 10 years and fully repeals Obamacare. (S. Con. Res 11, Roll Call 183, April 30, 2015)
- Voted against increasing the debt limit. (S. 540, Roll No. 61, February 11, 2014)
- Voted for the Full Faith and Credit Act, which would prevent the United States Government from going into default on its debts, even if the federal debt ceiling is breached. This would “take default off the table,” and remove a threat of the Obama Administration during debt limit negotiations. (H.R. 807, Roll Call 142, May 9, 2013)
- Voted to require the government to standardize all of its spending data and publish it for the public, making it easier to track waste, fraud, and abuse. (S. 994, Voice Vote, April 28, 2014)
KEEP OUR COUNTRY SAFE AND MILITARY STRONG – FIGHT TERRORISM AND END ISIS
As combat veteran and as a retired Marine Corps infantry officer, I understand the importance of our military and military readiness. Faced with growing threats from ISIS, Iran, and North Korea, I have consistently opposed efforts to reduce American troop strength and underfund vital national defense capabilities. A strong military is necessary for a strong America.
- Voted for a 2.3% increase for the Armed Services through the National Defense Authorization Act (S 1356, Roll Call 618, November 5, 2015)
- Voted for $1.1 billion in counterterrorism funding. (H R 2029, Roll Call 193, April 30, 2015)
- Led the fight to fund Work for Warriors program to assist in job placement for 4,000 California National Guardsmen, reservists and Veterans.
DESTROY ISIS – HUNT DOWN TERRORISTS – KEEP OUT SYRIAN AND IRAQI REFUGEES
The San Bernardino Terrorist Attacks are a reminder that even though Osama bin Laden is dead, our war on terror continues. I’ve voted to end the President’s reckless policy of allowing un-vetted Syrian and Iraqi refugees to enter our country. As a member of the Subcommittee on Terrorism, Non-Proliferation, and Trade, I’ve pushed to develop a robust national counter-terrorism strategy and hold the President’s administration accountable for its failures.
The greatest threat we face is nuclear weapons falling into the hands of these terrorists, which is why I oppose the President’s nuclear deal with Iran, the world’s leading sponsor of terrorism.
- Voted for H.R. 4038, the American SAFE Act, which immediately suspends the admission of Syrian and Iraqi refugees into the United States and requires the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and the Director of National Intelligence to create a program to certify each individual refugee is not a threat before any can be admitted in the future. (H.R. 4038, Roll Call 643, November 19, 2015)
- Cosponsored and voted for H. Res. 575 to establish the Select Committee on the 2012 Terrorist Attack in Benghazi. (H. Res 575, Roll Call 207, May 8, 2014)
- Cosponsored and voted for H.R. 3662, the Iran Terror Finance Accountability Act, which blocks the President from offering sanctions relief until certifying a person or entity has not done business with a terrorist organization. (H.R. 3664, Roll Call 54, February 2, 2016)
- Voted against the President’s Nuclear Deal with Iran.(H.R. 3461, Roll Call 493, September 11, 2015)
- Cosponsored and voted for H.R. 2297, the Hizballah International Financing Prevention Act of 2015, which imposed sanctions on Hizballah, a terrorist organization sponsored by Iran that has killed thousands of civilians and hundreds of Americans. This bill became law. (H.R. 2297, Roll Call 698, December 16, 2015)
Immigration & Border Security
REAL BORDER SECURITY – NO AMNESTY – STOP THE FLOW OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS – NO SYRIAN AND IRAQI REFUGEES
For America to be a strong nation, we must also have strong borders. For years, drugs, gangs, and violence have spread across our borders as too many politicians turned a blind eye to illegal immigration. Our priority must be to secure our borders and end all illegal immigration to the United States. As an opponent of Amnesty, I’ve fought to overturn the President’s lawless executive amnesty.
I’ve voted to end the President’s reckless policy of allowing un-vetted Syrian and Iraqi refugees to enter our country.
- Voted for H.R. 3009, which prohibits illegal immigrant “sanctuary cities” from receiving federal law enforcement grants (H.R. 3009, Roll Call 466, July 23, 2015)
- Voted for H.R. 5230, the Supplemental Border Appropriations bill, which provides additional resources for federal agencies involved in border control to address the flood of illegal immigrant minors. (H.R. 5230, Roll Call 478, August 1, 2014)
- Voted for H.R. 5272, the Deportation Deferral Ban, which blocks the President’s attempt to expand his “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” executive amnesty plan that sparked the 2014 border crisis. (H.R. 5272, Roll Call 479, August 1, 2014)
FIX THE VA – SERVE MILITARY FAMILIES – FIGHT FOR VETERANS’ CAUSES
After serving 26 years in the Marine Corps, I vowed to make veterans and military families a top priority in public office. I've never wavered in that commitment. In a changing world and with major challenges facing veterans young and old, you deserve a Congressman who understands firsthand the importance of keeping our military strong; someone who will honor and serve veterans; and someone who will never forget their sacrifices.
- Cosponsored and voted for H.R. 1994, the VA Accountability Act of 2015, which makes it easier to remove or demote employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs based on performance or misconduct. (H.R. 1994, Roll Call 489, July 29, 2015)
- Voted for H.R. 203, the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which increases access to mental health care and capacity at VA to meet demand, improving the quality of care, boosting accountability at VA, and developing a community support system for veterans. (H.R. 203, Roll Call 17, January 12, 2015)
- Voted for H.R. 280, which authorizes the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to recoup bonuses and awards paid to VA employees who broke the law or harmed veterans. (H.R. 280, Passed on Voice, March 2, 2015)
- Voted for H.R. 3230, the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act, which improves access to care for veterans seeking medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs and allows some veterans to seek care outside of the VA system. (H.R. 3230, Roll Call 467, July 30, 2014)
- Introduced H.R. 3286, the HIRE Vets Act, which promotes private sector recruiting, hiring, and retaining of men and women who served honorably in the U.S. military.
- Cosponsored H.R. 969, the Blue Water Navy Act, which gives presumptive Agent Orange exposure status to sailors who served aboard ships off the coast of Vietnam and were exposed to the toxic chemical.
Crime and Safety
KEEP FAMILIES SAFE – BRING CRIMINALS TO JUSTICE – SUPPORT OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT
Law abiding citizens – particularly the most vulnerable among us – deserve all due protections under law and from our law enforcement. I’ve worked tirelessly for years to help bring to justice child predators, scammers, terrorists, and other criminals. The safety of our families and our communities from threats both domestic and foreign is my top priority in Congress.
With the threat of criminals and terrorism, I also know that it’s more important than ever to stand with law enforcement in keeping our communities safe. Rather than demonizing law enforcement, we should work with them to make sure they have the resources and training necessary to do their jobs effectively. The federal government should support local law enforcement.
- Pushed for full federal funding of the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, which reimburses states for the costs of incarcerating illegal immigrants.
- Fought to maintain sales of surplus military equipment to local law enforcement to ensure they have the equipment they need to fight heavily armed drug cartels and terrorists. This type of equipment was utilized during the manhunt for the San Bernardino terrorists in December of 2015.
- Introduced H.R. 3025, the Wildfire Airspace Protection Act, which makes it a federal offense to launch a drone that interferes with fighting wildfires on federal property.
DEFEND THE SECOND AMENDMENT – NRA ENDORSED – PERFECT VOTING RECORD ON GUN RIGHTS
The Second Amendment is a fundamental constitutional right and cannot be infringed. I’m a member of the National Rifle Association and have consistently received an ‘A’ rating from them. I was proud to receive the endorsement of the NRA in my 2012 and 2014 elections. I will oppose any federal restrictions on the second-amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.
I’m also a proud combat veteran, trained and proficient in the use of handguns and rifles. I know firsthand their deadly force, and I know the attention and respect they deserve. The best gun advocates are always responsible gun owners.
- Cosponsored H.R. 1365, the Ammunition and Firearms Protection Act, which prevents the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) from classifying M855 ammunition as armor-piercing and from instituting a ban on the sale and manufacture of ammunition for rifle use.
- Cosponsored H.R. 986, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015, which allows any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state to carry a concealed firearm in any other state that does not prohibit concealed carry and provides legal protection for law-abiding concealed carry permit holders.
PROTECT THE UNBORN – PARENTAL CONSENT FOR MINORS – DEFUND PLANNED PARENTHOOD
I’m pro-life, and I always will be. I am also in support of requiring parental notification for minors seeking abortion. A child contemplating an abortion needs the moral advice of a parent, not only for the sake of the unborn but for her sake as well. I oppose federal funding of Planned Parenthood.
- Voted to fully defund Planned Parenthood. (H Res. 579, Roll Call 3, January 6, 2016)
- Voted for H.R. 1797, the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which bans abortion after 20 weeks except in cases where it is necessary to save the life of the mother or the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. (H.R. 1797, Roll Call 251, June 18, 2013)
- Voted for H.R. 7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2015, which prohibits federal funds from being used on abortion or health coverage that includes abortions. (H.R. 7, Roll Call 45, February 22, 2015)
- Voted for H. Res. 461 to establish a Select Investigative Panel into Planned Parenthood and their practice of harvesting and selling fetal tissue (H.Res 461, Roll Call 538, Oct. 7, 2015)
- Cosponsored and voted for H.R. 3134, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015, which would fully defund Planned Parenthood. (H.R. 3134, Roll Call 505, September 18, 2015)
MORE OPTIONS – LOWER COSTS – REPEAL OBAMACARE – PROTECT SENIORS
Our healthcare system has long required major changes, but Obamacare only makes the system worse. That’s why I’m dedicated to repealing Obamacare fully and replacing it with a market-based healthcare system that allows Americans to get affordable plans that meet individual needs. Additionally, we have a duty to our seniors who have spent their lives paying into Medicare to ensure that it remains solvent and affordable.
- Voted to repeal Obamacare fully (H.R. 596, Roll Call 58, February 3, 2015)
- Voted separately to repeal large parts of Obamacare, including the individual and employer mandates, tax subsidies for individuals to purchase health insurance from exchanges, the expansion of Medicaid, and the Prevention and Public Health Fund. Also voted to eliminate more than a dozen taxes included in the law, including the medical device tax, the "Cadillac" tax, the net investment tax and the additional Medicare tax. (H Res. 579, Roll Call 3, January 6, 2016)
- Voted to sue the Obama Administration for their illegal implementation of Obamacare by spending funds that Congress had refused to appropriate (H.Res 676, Roll Call 468, July 30, 2014)
- Cosponsored H.R. 2653, the American Health Care Reform Act of 2015, which completely repeals Obamacare and replaces it with an affordable market-based health care system.
Social Security & Medicare
BETTER CARE – LESS BUREAUCRACY – SENIORS FIRST
We must keep the promises made to seniors. Therefore, we need to make sure these systems are sustainable in the long term.
- Cosponsored H.R. 3616, the Protecting Seniors from Health Care Fraud Act of 2013, which cracks down on healthcare fraud schemes targeted to seniors.
- Voted for H.R. 3716, legislation that saves over $15 million by eliminating Medicare and Medicaid payments for fraudulent providers. (H.R. 3716, Roll no. 105, March 2, 2016)
- Fought to save the Barstow Social Security office.
- Cosponsored H.R. 3779, legislation that restricts use of social security numbers on documents sent by mail by the federal government, protecting seniors from Social Security fraud.
PEOPLE BEFORE FISH – NEW WATER STORAGE – CLEAN SOURCES
While California has experienced lower than average rainfall in the last several years, much of our water shortages are caused by California bureaucrats and by lawsuits brought on by extremist environmental groups. Instead of giving water to people, we’ve let hundreds of thousands of gallons flow into the ocean. We need new water storage and better water supplies, and we need them now.
- Cosponsored H.R. 595, the Waters of the United States Regulator Overreach Protection Act, which would ensure local control by preventing the Environmental Protection Agency from seizing jurisdiction over water under the control of states and private individuals.
- Cosponsored H.R. 2749, the Dam Authorization, Maintenance, and Safety Act, which improves water storage in California by authorizing the Secretary of the interior to allow modifications to dams that would increase water storage capacity.
- Cosponsored and voted for H.R. 2898, the Western Water and American Food Security Act, which would immediately increase the amount of available water in California by updating pumping regulations at the California Delta. (H.R. 2898, Roll no. 447,July 16, 2015)
- Helped secure federal funding for critical local water projects. (Link 1, 2, 3.)
KEEP PUBLIC LANDS ACCESSIBLE – SUPPORT FAIR PUBLIC USE – REDUCE FEDERAL LAND
Over 90% of California’s Eighth Congressional District is federal land. I’ve consistently opposed efforts to restrict public access to public land, and I’ve fought to turn over more federal land to our cities and counties. All public land should have reasonable protections in place for hunting, mining, off-roading and other uses.
- Introduced H.R. 3668 to protect Off-Highway Vehicle activity and mining in the California Desert.
- Led the successful fight to include language in H.R. 3304, the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act, to save off-roading in Johnson Valley.
- Introduced H.R. 4313, the Historic Routes Preservation Act, which would create a process for counties to claim existing rights of way on federal land, preventing the closure of public roads rural areas.
- Introduced H.R. 3176, the Protecting our National Parks Act of 2015, which would make it a crime to vandalize national parks.
NO ON COMMON CORE – KEEP EDUCATION STANDARDS LOCAL – LOWER COLLEGE COSTS
As a former educator, I support parental involvement and local control in education. That’s why I’m opposed to Common Core. Parents and the local schools that serve our communities should design curriculum, not bureaucrats in Washington.
- Voted for S. 1177, the Every Student Succeeds Act, which improves K-12 education by reducing the federal role, restoring local control, empowering parents, and significantly rolling back mandates for common core. (S. 1177, Roll Call 665, December 2, 2015)
- Cosponsored, H.R. 5024, the Local Control of Education Act, which prohibits the federal government from compelling a state, local agency, or school to adopt Common Core.
- Cosponsored H.RES 476, a resolution supporting the restoration and protection of state authority and flexibility in establishing and defining academic standards and assessments and denouncing the President's coercion of states to adopt Common Core State Standards (113th Congress).
- Voted for H.R. 1911, the Smarter Solutions for Students Act, which removes politicians from the business of setting student loan interest rates by tying all federal student loans (except Perkins) to the market rate. This bill strengthens federal student loan programs making education more affordable for students while protecting taxpayers. (H.R 1911, Roll Call 183, May 23, 2013)